I’ve noticed in the last few years that people seem to think marketing/sales channels are either for major labels or for indies. Like, if the majors do it, then it’s not cool for indies to do it. And if the indies do it, then it’s small time.
- On some days, I feel electric and eager, rowdy like I want to party. And on those days I might change my ringtone to be Dave Matthews Band or Wilco or Ani Difranco.
- On other days, I feel tormented, dark and intense. And on those days I might change my ringtone to be Tori Amos or Dolores O’Riorden or Evanescence or Lucinda Williams.
- On other days, I feel lazy, slow and dazed. And on those days I might change my ringtone to be Norah Jones or Lyle Lovett or Feist.
- On some days, I feel retro. I mean I don’t know, either I’m reminescing about a time when I was alive or I’m thinking about where the music I love derrived from. And on those days I might change my ringtone to be Woody Guthrie or Johnny Cash or Paul Simon or Carole King.
- Make it available on your web site for free.
- Host it on a page/location that is easy to type into a mobile browser, and easy to remember so people can tell others verbally and IM and email around easily.
- Make the file size small so people can download it right from their phone if they need to. (some phones have max filesizes for downloads)